Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Just Call Me Betty Crocker...

Today has been busy and I've still got a gazillion things left to do. I am hungry, so I thought I would take a break and give y'all a recipe! I have made the dough for bread sticks and pizza, peanut butter muffins and chicken is thawing for chicken pot pie (making for a MOPS mom that was diagnosed with cancer). I still need to make two batches of Scotcheroos(totally not organic or natural....especially the Karo syrup! ouch!) and a loaf or two of banana nut bread. Not sure when I'll finish the rest. Peanut is sleeping in his crib. Bubbie has been helping me bake. When he gets bored, he'll run to his trains in the next room and then come back... I have promised Bubbie an outing once I get most of my "to-do list" finished. I might just have to wait until this evening to finish the rest- once Hubbie gets home.

The recipe is for Peanut Butter Muffins. My grandmother sent it to me a few months ago and I am just now getting around to making them. I have been calling them Peanut Butter Cupcakes. If you say muffins to Bubbie- he says he doesn't like them. If you call it cupcakes, he's excited! I let him make these with me this morning. He never questioned the yellow and orange "stuff" going into the bowl! I think the article in the Tennessean says that this mother adapted this from Jessica Seinfeld's recipe. Not sure, so if you have that book, you might have this recipe.

Enjoy!

Peanut Butter Muffins

1 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup of natural peanut butter
1/2 cup of carrot puree
1/2 cup of banana puree
2 large egg whites
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.

In a large bowl mix 1/2 cup of the brown sugar with the peanut butter, carrot and banana puree, and the egg whites, using a wooden spoon.

Put the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and mix. Add to the bowl with the peanut butter in it and stir just to combine (batter will be lumpy). Add the remaining 1/2 cup of brown sugar and stir once or twice.

Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Bake 15-20 mins. Turn muffins out onto a rack to cool.

Yummy! Yummo!

No comments: