Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yummy! Yummy! Honey Whole Wheat Bread!

I decided to start baking our own bread. Its really easy to find good, healthy and natural bread, but since we love bread so much in our house, we go through a lot. I decided on our quest for more healthy, natural foods, I could start to make all our bread. Hopefully it'll save on money too! Even better!

I found this recipe on Cooks.com! This recipe was a winner. I was able to make 2 loaves and about 20 small rolls out of one recipe. One warning... I couldn't get 6 cups of flour into this recipe. I was only able to fit 4 cups. Also, the recipe doesn't have any time frame. I left the rolls in for about 15 mins. They were a little brown on the bottom... so I'll probably watch them closer next time. The bread loaves were left in longer. Maybe 20-25 mins. It really didn't have the look like other bread recipes do. You couldn't go by "knocking" on it and making sure you heard a hollow sound. So, once I REALLY started to smell the bread, I took it out. I know that sounds odd, but it worked! Enjoy!

Whole Wheat Bread or Rolls
2 tbsp. yeast
2 c. lukewarm water
1/4 c. honey
3/4 c. olive oil
2 eggs
6 c. whole wheat flour (it only took 4 cups for me)
2 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in water and honey for about 5 minutes. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and knead until it loosens from sides of the bowl. Place in large oiled bowl, cover and let rise until about double (took a hour or two). Be sure it is in a warm place. Remove and shape into loaves, rolls, or buns. Bake at about 375 degrees until browned.

No comments: